Saturday, April 16, 2011

it's counting, and be sure it counts


I've done it!

What have I done, you ask? I have discovered to cure to all of my darkest needs. We just got keys to the Hungerford Building [where I'll be holding my senior thesis e
xhibition in just over three weeks], which means that it's high time I start figuring out how I'm installing my work. The basic blueprint is as follows: My gallery space contains one long, white, paneled wall along which I will hang one work on canvas per panel. These pieces will also have sound installed inside of them. Perpendicular to and across from this wall are two a smaller white walls which will also each contain one of my works on canvas. Perpendicular to this wall is a dirty, peeling, white
brick wall, on which I plan to hang a site-specific paper
installation. This will consist of a collage of semi-transparent paper figures that I am working on now.

This is all straightforward enough. The big issue I've had in planning is figuring out how I'll be able to hang said paper pieces. They are coated front and back with boiled linseed oil to make the paper sheer. This allows for great layering, but it makes it very difficult to hang. The saturated oil in the paper requires an oil-based adhesive. This is all fine and dandy, but it would show through and be distracting [and utterly lumpy/sickening/awful] which would just not fly with transparent materials. What to do, what to do?

After an hour of effective experimentation, I found my winning combination. Glue Dots and basic multi-purpose spray adhesive. I am not quite sure why the two work so well, but they are like a dream. I think Glue Dots uses the same sort of glu
e that is used to seal all those pamphlets you get in the mail. You know, the kind that stays gooey and you peel it off the catalogue and play with it...? Right. It looks like that.

The biggest challenge I now face [in terms of the paper, of course] is figuring out physically how to hang these pieces. Some of them are over eight feet long, in windy, fragile shapes. The installation will require at least one large ladder, some helping hands, and a lot of patience. I've definitely got my work cut out for me.

On that note:

No comments:

Post a Comment